16 Feb Fifth Annual Seed Swap hosted by Sammamish Valley Alliance & 21 Acres; March 6-20, 2021
Sammamish Valley Alliance and 21 Acres are partnering for the fifth annual Sammamish Valley Seed Swap, Saturday, March 6 through Saturday, March 20, 2021, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Hosted at 21 Acres in Woodinville, this event is free for all gardeners, small-scale farmers and for anyone interested in seeds even if you’re not planting this year. With Covid-19 restrictions in place, this year’s event will be a bit different and we’re excited to make this event broader in scope to encourage our friends and neighbors in the community to participate.
Whether, you’ve enjoyed a seed swap in the past, or you’ve never been to one, keep reading for this year’s information, guidelines and how to prepare. A DIY self-service seed swap station will be set up outdoors, at an unmanned table in the covered bike rack alcove, outside the 21 Acres Market throughout the two week period. Make sure to wear your mask during your visit to the 21 Acres campus and stay socially distanced for everyone’s safety.
• Bring any vegetable or flower seeds you have and would like to share (please no GMO or any treated seeds).
• Seeds must be cleaned/hulled and no more than three years old. Seed company seeds in their original packaging are fine. (Seed packaging must fit inside our weatherproof containers which are 4-7/8” tall to keep the lids secure.)
• Heirloom seeds are terrific! Seeds collected from your garden are great as long as they were not collected from hybrid plants (as they won’t reproduce correctly).
• Sort your seeds into the marked, labeled boxes according to plant families. (If you don’t have any seeds yet, that’s okay, there should be plenty to share.)
• Include as much info about the seeds as you can (botanical and varietal name if you have it, where they grow, how many days to harvest, year collected, etc.)
• Come prepared with recycled paper, envelopes or other packaging to make your individual seed packets. Bring a pen or marker for identification or just take a photo of the original labels.
• Visit often throughout the two week period to pick up seeds that you need for your garden.
Remaining seeds after the event will be donated to local, community gardeners. Most important is to have fun with your family, friends and neighbors as you plan and get ready to plant your spring garden. Happy growing! 21 Acres is located at 13701 NE 171st St, Woodinville, WA. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and put Seed Swap in the subject line.